Please Help Us Finish the Job!
Navarro-by-the-Sea Center (NSCR) is a small all-volunteer 501(c)(3) nonprofit working with State Parks to save the two remaining historic structures of the original town of Navarro at the mouth of the Navarro River, and reopen them for public education, interpretation, and research. While the original town of Navarro has long since vanished, largely abandoned, the historic Captain Fletcher’s Inn (ca 1865) and the Mill Superintendant’s House (ca 1864) somehow survived while the rest of the town was reclaimed by floods, fires, and earthquakes. The Inn remained in the Fletcher family operating as an Inn for travelers along the coast until they sold the property in 1926. The Inn then operated as a road house through a series of private owners, eventually becoming the popular Navarro-by-the-Sea as automobile travel increased. Eventually the Inn fell into disrepair and was closed by the mid-1980’s where it then suffered severe neglect. The Inn and Mill House were eventually acquired by the State and became part of Navarro River Redwoods State Park by 1996. NSCR was formed in 2001 to work in partnership with State Parks, but lacked the funding necessary to make the critical repairs, and by 2010 the Inn was on the verge of collapse.
Thanks to an outpouring of support and the generous construction grant from CCHE, NSCR was able to initiate the critical stabilization work on the historic Inn in spring of 2012. Funded tasks included demolition work, hazardous cleanup of asbestos and lead, a new perimeter foundation and front porch, earthquake structural retrofitting, repair of the siding and repainting, and temporary windows on the ground floor.
Click on this PowerPoint link to see a brief history of Navarro-by-the-Sea, the progress NSCR has made over the past decade, the condition of the historic Inn before construction began in 2012, and photographs of the construction work accomplished since 2012 and its current condition!
In September 2014 the Inn Stabilization Project received the 2014 Preservation Award from the California Preservation Foundation, and in November the 2014 Governor’s Award for Historic Preservation. These are the two highest honors in historic preservation given in California, and the only award in historic preservation awarded by the State. They were given in recognition of the important preservation efforts in saving part of California’s history, and the strong grassroots effort and partnership with State Parks during challenging financial times that made saving the Inn possible. We’re honored that our collective efforts to “Save the Inn” have been recognized by the California Preservation Foundation and Governor.
2014 Preservation Award from the California Preservation Foundation,
website by Garth Hagerman