Navarro-by-the-Sea Center Events
Please see our How to Help page for info on how you can contribute to the “Save the Inn” fund or join the Charles Fletcher Society.
- Join us for our second annual Earthday Cleanup/Tours of the Inn at Navarro-by-the-Sea, on Saturday, May 4, 2013. Work parties will be busy in the morning from 9 to noon doing trash clean up, invasive species removal and control, and other projects. And we need your volunteer help and muscle to make long needed cleanup and restoration work at Navarro-by-the-Sea and Navarro Beach. A free bbq will be served to volunteers at noon. And from 1 to 4 the Inn will be open for guided tours to the public to see our progress and how far we still have to go in the renovation work. Come for the whole day or just a short shift. Contact Jim at 707-877-3477 or "beach1272 at aol.com" for more information and to let him know you're interested in helping out to make sure we have enough food for all the volunteers. All volunteers must sign the State Parks release form, and children under 18 must be accompanied by their parent(s) or legal guardian(s). .
- Eighth Annual Public Open House of the Historic Mill Company House is tentatively scheduled for early August 2013. Join us for this important annual event at Navarro-by-the-Sea, and check on our work progress at the Inn and Mill House.
Please see the Planning/Construction page for the latest updates on our progress with the CCHE grant and other work “Saving the Inn”.
- The first annual Earthday Cleanup at Navarro-by-the-Sea was held on Saturday, April 14, 2012. The entire NSCR Board and over 30 volunteers participated in all day shifts, with a noon bbq provided by Savings Bank of Mendocino County. Volunteers filled an enormous dumpster with trash and debris, as volunteers worked on invasive species removal, cleaning and demolishing unused structures, reorganizing stored materials, and painting the kitchen of the historic Mill House. Thanks to the Hospitality House of Fort Bragg, members of the California Conservation Corps, and all the volunteers who made the cleanup a great success!
- Seventh Annual Public Open House of the Historic Mill Company House was held on Saturday, August 6, 2011. Homemade “Quilts of the Coast” were displayed for the first time throughout the Mill House, and in the barn across the street, an amazing display of talent organized by Charlotte Saunders. This was the first time the barn has been open to the public, and in addition to the beautiful quilts, artifacts from the original town of Navarro were on display as well.
Live music was again performed on the front porch by Marcus McCallen and John Bush, enjoyed by folks eating grilled sausages and fixings prepared by Ericha Heinsohn-Sevy, Lisa Rambo and Pete Kalvass. Kathleen Cameron kept track of the donations inside, along with a selection of tasty deserts and treats. And Chuck Saunders managed the front porch, with abalone planted with succulents from the coast. And we had more silent auction items up for bidding this year than ever before. Thanks to all the volunteers and donors who made this a great event.
Our fabulous donors this year included: Albion River Inn, Anderson Valley Brewing Co., Boonville Hotel, Brutocao Cellars, Cafe Beaujolais, Elk Garage, Greenwood Ridge Vineyards, Goldeneye/Duckhorn, Husch Vineyards, KZYX and Z, Little River Inn, Lula Cellars, Mendocino Café, MacCallum House, North Coast Brewing Company, Pine Ridge Vineyard, Queenie's Roadhouse Café, Savings Bank of Mendocino County, and Stanford Inn! We couldn't do it without all your support!
- On Saturday, May 21, 2011, the Kelly House Museum presented a reenactment of historic characters buried in Hillcrest Cemetery, in Mendocino. The presentation featured Bridget Fletcher, Captain Fletcher’s first wife, who is buried at Hillcrest. Although Captain Fletcher is buried at Little River Cemetery, both Bridget and Charles Fletcher were featured in the cemetery tour, with a sweet reunion script written by NSCR Board member Kathleen Cameron.
- Sixth annual Public Open House of the Historic Mill Company House was held on Saturday, August 14th, 2010. Open house and tour of this historic building was attended by over 500 visitors, open only once a year during our annual open house. Historic photographs of the original town of Navarro were available for viewing, along with information on our progress in saving the historic Captain Fletcher's Inn. Recent photographs by Brent Anderson and Nancy Barth were on display. Live music was performed by Marcus McCallen and John Bush. Thanks to these artists and our other sponsors including Albion Inn, Fensalden Inn, Harvest Market, Ledford House, Navarro Vineyards, and Savings Bank, for making this such a successful event!
- Official Ground Breaking Ceremony for the Navarro Inn Stabilization Project was held on Saturday, May 29, 2010 in front of the historic Inn. Live music was performed by Ken Smith and a number of speeches made before a large crowd of supporters, followed by light refreshments and tours of the historic Mill House. Speakers for the day included: Ms. Mimi Morris, Executive Director for the California Cultural and Historical Endowment, Mr. Blaine Lamb, Chief, California State Parks Division of Archaeology, Museum and History Division, Ms. Marianne Hurley, Historian, California State Parks, Mr. David Colfax, 5th District Supervisor, Mendocino County, Jan Duncan Vaughn, great, great grandaughter of Captain Fletcher, Mr. Pete Kalvass, Board Member of NSCR, and Mr. Jim Martin, Board President of NSCR and Project Manager for the Inn Stabilization Project.
- Fifth annual Public Open House of the Historic Mill Company House was held on Saturday, June 27th, 2009. This year, the Open House included a benefit exhibit of plein air landscape paintings installed in the Mill House. Five local award-winning artists - Carolyn Hagopjian, Eleanor Harvey, John Hewitt, Suzi Marquess Long, and Deborah Nordwill - showed paintings of Navarro Beach and the surrounding coastline. Thanks to these artists and our other sponosors including Albion Inn, Fensalden Inn, Harvest Market, Ledford House, Navarro Vineyards, and Savings Bank for making this such a successful event!
- Benefit Performance for NSCR on Saturday, May 2nd, at the Garden Room of the Mendocino Hotel. A packed crowdin attendance enjoyed a great dinner while hearing stories and music of Mendocino Coast, generously put together by Pattie DeMatteo as part of the Mendocino Stories and Music Series. All proceeds went to NSCR’s efforts to save the Inn. Thank you Pattie and all the performers!
- Second Public Workshop on the draft Specific Plan was held at Fensalden Inn on November 17, 2008. Public and California State Parks staff in attendance, together with representatives of NSCR and the consultant preparing the Specific Plan, 2M Associates. The major components of the draft Specific Plan were described, and comments were taken from the public and staff. The public comment period on the draft Specific Plan was held open until January 18, 2009.
- Fourth annual tour of the Historic Mill Company House on August 9th, 2008. Thanks to our sponsors for their generous donations to the event, including Albion Inn, Fensalden Inn, Harvest Market, Ledford House, and Navarro Vineyards, and to the dedicated efforts of the Navarro-by-the-Sea Center Board and volunteer docents who made the event so successful.
- First Public Workshop on the draft Specific Plan process was held at Fensalden Inn on May 22, 2008. Public and California State Parks staff in attendence were updated on the progress of the Specific Plan and grant from CCHE, major constraints were summarized, and options for future use reviewed by the consultant. This was followed by questions and input from the public and State Parks staff. Input received during the workshop will be considered as part of refinement of the Specific Plan.
- Third annual tour of the Historic Mill Company House on August 11, 2007. The event continues to be popular with local and regional visitors, with an attendance of over 300 people. Thanks to our sponsors for their generous donations to the event, including Fensalden Inn, Harvest Market, and Navarro Vineyards, and to the dedicated efforts of the Navarro-by-the-Sea Center Board and volunteer docents who made the event so successful.
- Tour of the historic Navarro Mill Company House, Navarro Beach, July 15,
2006. Over 300 people toured the house and enjoyed historic photographs
of the Navarro Mill and Capt. Fletcher's Inn.
- Month of April, 2006: An exhibit of selected original paintings of
Navarro-by-the-Sea, Mill House, and Navarro Beach were on display at
the Mendocino Art Center, located at 45200 Little Lake Road, Mendocino.
- Month of October, 2005: An exhibit of selected photographs of the
historic town of Navarro (by the Sea) provided by The Charles Fletcher
Society and Navarro-by-the-Sea Center for Research displayed at the
Mendocino Art Center.
- Tour of the historic Navarro Mill Company House, Navarro Beach, June 4, 2005. First public tour of house was attended by almost 300 visitors.
- Concert by Rod Cameron and the Ridge Runners with stories by Janie Tate
to benefit Capt. Fletcher's Inn. Held at Preston Hall, Mendocino, April
30, 2005. Attendees enjoyed traditional Scottish music and Folk
Songs in honor of Charles Fletcher, a Scotsman born in the China Seas
aboard the ship “Wildcat.”